Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ryan Giggs' 20th anniversary

Ryan Giggs has just passed his 20th anniversary since debuting at Manchester United.
[The jerseys throughout the years]
Twenty years ago, on 2 March 1991, a budding United youngster named Ryan Giggs made his Old Trafford entrance. Now, he's the club's most decorated servant and recently put pen to paper on a new deal, ensuring he'll remain a Red until at least next summer. But for Giggs, now 37, his first-team debut remains all a bit of a blur.

"It’s weird because it’s all a total blank," Giggs recently told Inside United. “I don’t know why – maybe it’s because the whole thing was so unexpected. I do know I came for Denis [Irwin]. But I saw some clips of the game a few years ago and I could barely remember anything!"

After a record 863 appearances and counting for United, it’s perhaps forgiveable that the mind goes a bit hazy on the detail, but Ryan recalls more clearly his first start against Manchester City.

"I remember a lot more about the City game because I expected to be involved in that, although I was still surprised when the manager named me in the starting XI. I thought I’d be on the bench for that one," he added.

That game had the best possible outcome for the 17-year-old, with a derby-winning goal, albeit one of dubious origin, having taken a sizeable deflection off Blues defender Colin Hendry.
Read more of this here.

Here's a gallery of Giggs throughout his career.

Living legend. No doubt about it. 20 years and going strong. He could definitely play for a few more years. I'm definitely not ready to watch him retire, not any time soon. At least wait until I get to watch you live at Old Trafford, Giggys!

No comments:

Post a Comment