Sunday, March 6, 2011

I hate rain.

I've said it quite a few times, but I really do. I do love the smell of fresh air when it had just stopped raining. But I hate rain. I don't mind it as much if it's just there minding its own business and not affecting me in any way – but the gloomy sky makes me want to just stay in bed all day, hugging my pillow and covering myself with my blanket. Thank God it wasn't too windy, or else I would definitely stay in my room, ignoring the fact that I haven't had a decent meal since yesterday afternoon. Especially after the game this morning...

That game this morning... *right-click. move to trash. right-click. empty trash.*

Let's just say I was having a bad day. I was having a bad week. Two weeks, actually. The rain didn't help. I hate rain.


So when a friend texted me at around 5 p.m. today with a simple "Nachos l8r?," I took five long minutes to soak in the comfort and warmth of my bed before dragging myself up and shooting back, "Sure! :)." Even on text messages I fake-smile.

I found myself staring outside my window, crossing figurative fingers hoping that the rain would stop, just for a moment, so I can get dinner without hating the weather. Of course that doesn't happen. The world is ignorant about my hatred.

It was 6, it was getting dark, and I took my umbrella out of my second drawer. Stopped for a second before getting out of my building and saying in my head, "I hate rain!"

The walk wasn't long, but I hated every step that I took because they made my Converse and jeans wet. When I got up to the take out line, I am certain that I had a frown on my face. But the guy at greeted me with a big smile and a "Hey, how are you doing tonight?"

"Good. How about you?" Another fake smile, this time on my face, while handing him my ID card.

He took it, swiped it – twice because my card never registers on the first swipe lately – handed it back to me along with the ticket, and he smiles again, "I'm doing great, thank you for asking. I hope you have a wonderful night tonight!"

I smiled. "You too." I believed that that one wasn't a fake one.

And after two steps, his friend who's serving said, also with a big smile on his face, something along the lines of (can't remember the exact words since I had my iPod playing into one ear; I remember it was playing Jay Sean) "the wonderful service doesn't stop at the entrance. What are you in the mood for tonight?" He took a tray and filled it with nacho chips. I ordered and he followed with "are you a cheese person?" Shook my head, smile still on my face, and he responded with "I feel ya" while handing me the tray.

"Have a great night!" "You too!" And then the two of them started talking about opening their own restaurant, or a nacho place, or something.

The smile stayed with me even until I got back to my room.

I was having a bad day. I was having a bad couple of weeks. Thank you, guys working tonight at the Tillett take out line, for making tonight a little better! :)

Now back to the real world. Back to OS or Database or reading articles about the connection between feminism and nature (yeah, really. I'm doing that.).

[While writing this, I was wondering to myself, "why am I writing this?!" I've been reading a lot of fics these past few days. A LOT. And for some reason it makes me want to write, too. So this is a start. Maybe I'll do a fic later, or that paper that I started on sophomore year but never seem to be nearing the end, or that story I wanted to write but couldn't get the opening paragraph to have the hook I wanted. Anyways, I just felt like writing.]

No comments:

Post a Comment