Sunday, December 20, 2009

A little bit late, but...

Manchester United star Ryan Giggs was crowned 2009 BBC Sports Personality of the Year in Sunday's award ceremony.


The Welsh winger, 36, is the most decorated player in English football with a record 11th Premier League winners' medal secured this year.

Formula 1 champion Jenson Button was second with world heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis securing third spot.

"This is a shock as you can tell by the speech I've prepared," joked Giggs when collecting his award.

"I grew up watching this programme. To see the people that have won it and to be here is unbelievable."

A surprised Giggs is the first footballer to claim the prestigious trophy since England midfielder David Beckham in 2001, with Michael Owen (1998), Paul Gascoigne (1990) and Bobby Moore (1966) the only other football winners.

With the public choosing their favourite from the shortlist of 10 by phone on the night, Giggs received 29.4% of the vote (151,842 votes) ahead of Button (18.74% - 96,770) and Ennis (15.58% - 80,469) with a total of 516,473 votes cast.

This year has seen Giggs win the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year award for the first time in April and the Wales Sports Personality of the Year award, and in a United shirt he has made his 800th appearance, scored his 150th goal and helping them reach the Champions League final.

The Cardiff-born star added: "I am playing for the greatest manager that has ever lived and I'm playing for the greatest club. Perhaps I've become more appreciated as I have got older.

"It's unusual for a 36-year-old to be playing with a team like Manchester United for 20 years but I am enjoying it and long may it continue."

After Ferguson revealed on Friday that his veteran playmaker had been offered a new contract for next season, Giggs said: "It was the first I had heard of it the other day so I was quite pleased. Hopefully there will be another year after that."
btw I'm trying to stay away from anything ManUtd related until they're back on top spot! (or until I can't stand not watching their games lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment