Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Soccer Aid 2012

I'm at work, and probably should be working, but I downloaded the Soccer Aid 2012 match to my iPhone last night and I've spent the last hour watching the first half.

It's always nice to watch a game of football, especially at Old Trafford. I absolutely love seeing Edwin van der Sar back between the goal posts, which I believe is in front of Stretford End. Made a couple of good saves, too. Roy Keane and Jaap Stam right in front of him probably scared most of their opponents away. It was also nice to see Keane there; though it's a shame he had to limp off after only about 20 minutes. The pair would also feature on this Sunday's Corazon Classic Match 2012 between Real Madrid veterans and Manchester United veterans. Man, I love these two games. They help, a tiny bit, for the lack of United games on weekends.

The half-time analysis featured Wayne Rooney, Robbie Williams, and Robbie Savage. Even though Rooney, when asked about how it feels watching a game at his home turf, said that it was nice to be at Old Trafford to relax and enjoy a game, I imagine there were times when he was just itching to run into the pitch to score, especially when England was losing. Sergio Pizzorno's goal, which was absolutely brilliant, according to Rooney was "probably the best goal [he]'s seen at Old Trafford in the past 5-10 years." ;)

I'm very excited for Sunday's Corazon Classic Match, and quite excited for Soccer Aid 2014. I was surprised by how many big name celebrities participated in this year's event; especially the Hollywood actors for the Rest of the World team. So, hopefully, the next event will draw even bigger celebrities (and legends), and more donations. Of course, ideally, I would love more ex- or current-United players to feature, and maybe even Sir Alex Ferguson managing the ROW team.

I've also watched the 2010 event and I kept thinking that some of these people are taking this way to seriously! I thought, since it's for charity, that it would be just for fun and games. But I guess for some of these former pros, it's hard to go out, play for 90 minutes, and not take it seriously. Edwin van der Sar, Freddie Ljunberg, and Clarence Seedorf are the only ones who seemed to be enjoying this for the fun of it throughout the first half.

No comments:

Post a Comment