Monday, May 14, 2012

"Football, bloody hell!"

Had a day to let it sink in, and I can only barely believe that what happened yesterday actually happened. I somehow managed to hold it together the whole day, not a tear shed, until I found this posted on Facebook this morning:

Just the look on their faces did it for me. Learning that City conceded through the crowd's reaction was an amazing feeling; learning that we lost the title at the last minute the same way: not recommended. A whole season, 38 matches, and all the hard work undone in that last minute of City's game. I feel for the new guys, the younger players that had just joined the team this season. But the fact that they're young and good enough to almost winning the league means that they'd have years (hopefully at United) to gain experience and develop into better players and to win many league titles (again, hopefully with United).

"They’ve experienced what has happened today and they’ll be around in five, six, seven or ten years time for Manchester United. The experience is good for them, even if it is a bad one."
source

As always, Sir Alex Ferguson conceded the defeat gracefully, congratulating City on the amazing feat - something that I still have yet to be able to do.

Yesterday was tense. The matches were unbearable to watch. I decided against switching to City's match because I was scared that I would jinx it (I'm somehow very superstitious when it comes to United); I probably should have, seeing how it turned out to be. It really was a reminder, to me, of how much I love football, but loathe it at the same time. It honestly did hurt.

Meanwhile, in other parts of the footballing world


RUUUUUUUUUUUUUD

Former United forward Ruud van Nistelrooy has announced his retirement from football. He was there when I just started being a United fan; maybe one of the reasons I became a fan. What a great player he was for United, scoring 150 goals in just 219 appearances in 5 seasons. One of my all-time favorites, one of United's all-time bests.


Inzaghi, Del Piero score on their Serie A farewell

I'm a big fan of Alessandro Del Piero; an amazing footballer, respected by fellow professionals and fans. I really thought he has a season or two left in him. Del Piero marked his last appearance in the league with a goal against Atalanta, to close Juventus' unbeaten season.

Fillipo Inzaghi scored a late winner for AC Milan to beat Novara 2-1. I know he's a great player, and I don't mean to disrespect him in any way, but I will remember him as the guy who was "born offside."

AC Milan is cleaning house. Not only losing Inzaghi to retirement, Alessandro Nesta, Mark van Bommel and Gennaro Gatusso would be among those who leave San Siro.

Neville for England

Not too long ago, the rumors floating around are saying that Phil Neville will be involved in England's coaching team. But, as it was revealed earlier today, it's actually the other Neville brother that got the call. I thought Phil Neville would be a good choice, and I would have to say the same thing about Gary. He's proved himself as a pundit for SkySports this past season, and I think he can bring his intelligence and experience to improve England's team. Gary has signed a four-year contract as part of Roy Hodgson's coaching staff.

It hasn't been confirmed, but words are that he'd keep his job as a pundit with SkySports. It would really be a shame if he didn't. It's quite heart-warming, really, to see fans of our rival clubs saying that they hated Gary Neville as a player (as much as Neville himself hates Liverpool), who are warming up to him. He's been unbiased, analytic, and very well-spoken; better than most pundits I've watched, for sure!

Thank you, Berbatov

Dimitar Berbatov was on the bench at Sunderland yesterday and that would be the last time his name is on United's team-sheet. I really am sad that he's leaving. He's been left out of the team far too often by Sir Alex Ferguson lately, and he deserves better. But how he handled the entire thing really made me respect him a whole lot more. He didn't make any fuss, continued to train and spoke privately to Sir Alex that he wanted to play more often and that he thought it'd be better if he tried elsewhere.

I'm a fan of both his style of play and his personality. Wherever you go, Dimi, I hope you get what you deserve.





And, a tiny bit of good news at United: Scholes stays another year

Fergie confirmed that veteran Paul Scholes will be playing for the club next season, but he did make it sound like it would be his last. This means, I'm actually looking forward to FM13! I mean, to have Scholesy back in my team!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment