Friday, September 19, 2008

I'm gonna miss TRL...


A little bit late for the news, but MTV decided to axe their video music countdown show, Total Request Life. TRL started 10 years ago, and quickly became the launching pad for teen pop stars. Their first show aired on September 14, 1998, hosted by Carson Daly. The show countdowns the 10 most requested videos of the day, live from their New York Times Square studio. Daily guests or celebrity co-hosts often appear on the show, just to keep the show fresh.

“We want to close this era of ‘TRL’ in a big celebratory way, and 10 is a great number,” Dave Sirulnick, executive producer of TRL, said. "And 10 is the number that ‘TRL’ counted down every single day for 10 years, and we hit this 10th (anniversary)".
Eminem said: “I’m going to miss ‘TRL.’ ... Where else will I be able to start feuds, defend my honor vigorously and act like an angry teenager on national TV? Oh wait ... The VMAs!”

Lately, it seems to be the only show on MTV that is about music. Even though I stopped watching the show regularly a long time ago I know I'm still going to miss it. I've been watching it since back in the days of Carson Daly, *NSYNC and Backstreet Boys fighting for the top spot (every single week it seems), Eminem was still recording albums of his own and MTV was the best channel there is. Since then, I only watch it when I love the co-host or guest for the day (ie. Justin Timberlake).

The final episode of TRL will air on November 8, 2008, with a 2 hour special. I really want to see the artists that are going to be there. Yes, I'm hoping that a few guys from *NSYNC and other boybands are going to be there since they kinda broke into the industry around the same time and helped each other to gain fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment