Monday, May 21, 2007

Becks and Ruudtje

So I watched Real Madrid play last night. Waiting till 00.00 was really boring and I was pretty sleepy which of course didn't help. And I went down 5 minutes before the time, cos I don't know on which channel is the match. I surfed through the channels, all 60++ of them! And at the end, I couldn't find it. I thought that I had to change it to local TV but I was too lazy to find the cable. I was hungry so I decided to look for something to eat. And then I thought... Well I was waiting for this match since like more than 2 hours ago! Now I just forget about it? No way! And since this would be the last few matches (maybe) that I would see the 2 former Manchester United stars playing together, I searched for the cable. It wasn't hard to find, actually. But installing it and the channels were the harder things to do.

I tried to figure out which buttons to push on the remote control and it took some time cos the writings and symbols were erased already. Then when the TV is searching for the available channels I grabbed some food and drink. When I actually found the channel it was already in the 16th minute. And Real Madrid was 1-0 up. They were controlling the match, creating lots and lots of chances, but couldn't find the goal. Glad to see that David Beckham was an important role in the team. His long balls were great as I used to watch him. He was the main player in Real Madrid's attack, IMO.

First half ended 1-0 though they were dominating the whole match and should have gotten more goals.

The 2nd half, Recreativo (their opponent) stepped up and tried their best to break Real Madrid's defense. Only the first few minutes were they able to do that cos after that Real Madrid dominated the match again, like the first half. Robinho was fouled by the goalkeeper, that was a clear foul, in the penalty area. Real Madrid got the penalty and the goalkeeper was booked. Ruud van Nistelrooy stepped up to take the spot kick. His placement decision wasn't that hard IMO, cos the goalkeeper was a little bit to his right, where Ruud usually place his penalty kick. And by the goalkeeper's movement we can determine that he was going to dive to his right. Ruud chose the safe way, pushing it to the left of the goalkeeper. Ruud does it better to the other part of the goal but he's doing it safe... 2-0 up now Real Madrid. They were still attacking, but not as much as before. Maybe they feel secure now. (at some point of the match possession was 40% Recreativo and 60% Real Madrid!)

Only about 15 or 17 minutes before the match ended, Recreativo got a break. A player went down inside the box and the referee pointed to the spot. Casillas did so well trying to save the spot kick. He dived to the right direction, and actually got a touch of the ball. But it wasn't enough to keep it from his goal.

By that time I was more interested in the novel I was holding (Pride and Prejudice) so I stopped watching the match. Less than 10 minutes to go and they were still 2-1 up. It was 1.30 a.m. so I went back to my room and read for a while before going to sleep. Was really surprised to see on livescore that the match ended up with the scoreline of 3-2 to Real Madrid! The last 2 goals were in the last 5 minutes of the match, with Recreativo pulling level in the 86th minute, but Roberto Carlos put his team ahead again in the final minute of the match.

Real Madrid stayed 1st in the La Liga standings, only by head to head of Barcelona and 2 points ahead of Sevilla. A few more matches to go to complete their amazing come back of the season!

[first and last trophy for David Beckham =D, Ruud van Nistelrooy with 22 or 23 goals already to become the top scorer in his first year there. Even the players who got the ax from Manchester United are still good...]

No comments:

Post a Comment