Sunday, December 25, 2011

The last of Ten

I was finally brave enough to watch David Tennant's last episode(s) on Doctor Who.



It was quite depressing, the last few episodes (and the specials). I love the Tenth Doctor because of how light and happy and excitable he is. But I guess knowing that he's dying kinda changes all that. The last episodes were heavy and sad. If Christopher Eccleston's regeneration was just him transforming into this new and improved Doctor, Tennant's regeneration felt like an ending. Very fitting.

I guess they had to give Rose and Ten 2.0 a somewhat happy ending. Even though it is a bit weird, isn't it? But then again, parallel universe and all that, they deserve to have their own David Tennant. I'm more sad about him having to erase Donna's memory. He knows he's dying soon and he's alone again. I think I like Donna the best out of the companions; David Tennant and Catherine Tate have such great chemistry.

I have to say, it was quite scary seeing how much power The Doctor have over the universe(s) in "The Waters of Mars". He was right, though; he's the only Time Lord left and he can almost control the whole of existence. Too much power for one person – or alien, I guess. And evil!Ten is quite hot! Donna was right; he needs someone to stop him sometimes.



Took me a couple of days from watching "The Waters of Mars" to finally watch "The End of Time." And – ugh – the amount of sadface!Tennant is killing me! He knows he's gonna die, and he's alone. Dying, alone, still trying to save the universe.

["Even if I change, it feels like dying. Everything I am dies. Some new man goes sauntering away. And I'm dead."]

When watching Eccleston's regeneration, I was fine because, (a) I wasn't that attached to him, and (b) I thought it was just like moving from one body to the next. But this scene changed my view of it. Now I understand what it's like for him. It really is like death. I was in tears halfway through part 1 of "The End of Time".

[Looking good for someone who's dying]
And, dammit, the look on his face when Wilf knocked on the glass door four times, after he thought that he'd live – I just couldn't... It would have been less sad, I think, if he'd regenerated then. Instead, he had to go and say goodbye to everyone. And it's quite heartbreaking that he met Rose before she met Nine. But, parallel universe and all that, and not allowed to cross his own timeline. *sadface*

["I don't want to go!"]

[So many tears]

I'm sure the show is still good, and that Matt Smith is a great Doctor, but I just can't bring myself to watch the next series just yet. It felt like such an ending that I feel like I should stop. Seeing Eleven bouncing around the TARDIS and being excited ("Still not ginger!") did put a smile on my face, though. I'll just take a few days to mourn the end of David Tennant on Doctor Who before starting series 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment