Tuesday, March 5, 2013

That was fucking bullshit

That was just heartbreaking. I am not only speechless, it feels like my brain is barely functioning. I can't focus on anything other than Nani's red card, and what could have been. We were playing so well up until that point. We weren't getting much of the ball –– Real Madrid had more possession, I believe –– and yet we were controlling the game. It's similar to how Real Madrid beat Barcelona twice last week. I honestly don't have the words to describe my feelings...

Even Mourinho said it was a "bullshit call" and that the "best team lost" (which, reluctantly, I respect). I try my best to not blame referees for our losses –– I know they do a difficult job –– but I just don't have it in me today. It's an insult to the game and the players that all talks are about the referee's bad call instead of the amazing players who worked their hardest. Lopez had an amazing game to keep United out, especially when Real was leading and backing off, giving United more chances. Of course Ronaldo had to score the winning goal. I still haven't decided if the fact that it was him made it better or worse.

I just want to say that the players, every one of them, did a fantastic job to get to this point. A match up with Real Madrid will always be tough. I would definitely accept losing against them if it was in different circumstances. The game, in general, was great. Both teams were very careful in the beginning and not connecting to their passes, but it was back and forth for most of the first half, with United creating better chances and looking more dangerous in attack. The midfield and defense managed to subdue Ronaldo. We scored early on in the second half, and it felt like everything was going to plan –– including leaving out Rooney. And then the red card happened and I was just furious. And the goals came and I think I was disappointed. And then I found myself holding back tears while staring blankly at my screen. This fucking sucks.

Congrats to Giggsy for playing his 1,000th game! A shit way to remember it by, but an insane achievement nonetheless. He played the full 90 minutes and was still running around til the end, and played a brilliant game too. I recall him with the ball running around Modric well into the second half, and slid in to a tackle in the first half, which just made me love him even more.



A few tweets from the next day:


I thought that was brilliant, too. Announcing Ronaldo's name last, greeted by a standing ovation from Old Trafford, right before kick off, and then booed whenever he touched the ball. Might have helped subdue him throughout the first half.


Gary Neville's thoughts on Nani's red card:
"Morning all. Been going to OT since age of 5 and I've never seen the whole ground as in disbelief as they were last night at a decision!"
"Nani is a player who regularly tries to control a pass like this over his shoulder and its never a red card! Changed the whole game!Poor ref"
"The crowd actually weren't angry / weren't shouting they were just open mouthed and in shock!"
"The Madrid keeper on Vidic looked a similar type of incident."
And I definitely agree. Especially on the point of Lopez punching Vidic in the face, and got away with it (and he rolled around in the ground "hurt" for a minute). Those who argue that Nani's offense was a definite red card say that the intent doesn't matter, that his foot was high and it was dangerous. Isn't Lopez's offense the same thing, then? He punched Vidic in the face, two handed. It shouldn't have mattered that he's a keeper in his own box (which means they're under some godly protection from fouls, for some reason), it shouldn't have mattered that his intention was to punch away the ball (like Nani's intention was to control a high ball), he punched Vidic in the face, which is arguably more dangerous than Arbeloa running into Nani's high foot. All right, I'm gonna stop here because this is making me upset again.

No comments:

Post a Comment