Thursday, March 28, 2013

It was in the plans for years!

A couple weeks ago, Justin Timberlake was on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon for a whole week, dubbed "Justin Timberweek." During one of the shows, they performed this sketch:

And, earlier today, I came across this /r/LadyBoners post of the two of them, which pictures were taken from GQ's 2011 Men of the Year issue. Obviously, I had to go back and read the article again, and found this little info:

GQ: Let's talk about how you guys came up with "History of Rap," the most viral video in network late night history.

Jimmy Fallon: We were in your dressing room backstage on SNL.

Justin Timberlake: We were just shooting the shit, right?

Jimmy Fallon: You were coming on my show later that week, and I asked, "What do you want to do?" We both thought, well we could sing something. I wanted to do Toto's "Africa."We could sing that song really well together.

Justin Timberlake: We should still do it! We should do Toto's "Africa" but we should do it as characters.

Jimmy Fallon: I was thinking we'd do "Africa" as me and you at the age of thirteen. We'd be best friends and have a tape of us having a sleepover and singing "Africa." We can wear wigs and braces.

Justin Timberlake: We were sitting there, and I said, "Do you remember that guy who did the history of dance?" He did every song that had a dance or was named after a dance. It was a viral sensation. Then we just started kicking around medley ideas. Jimmy was like, "What if we did the whole history of all hip-hop and fit in as many songs as we can?"


I just thought it was funny that they talked about this back in 2011, but it spawned the "History of Rap" instead; which they have done 4 of so far, and they're all awesome. And then they actually got to do their original idea, and it was also awesome.


Also, I absolutely love the fact that Reddit has such a mancrush on him lately. Example threads: here and here (I don't really listen to hip hop but I go to that sub sometimes because those guys are hilarious).

There's also this nice Q&A over at MySpace before he performed at SXSW.

No comments:

Post a Comment