Monday, October 15, 2012

NYCC 2012

It was a blast. I would have liked to have been there just a little longer - I do feel like I missed a lot of things - but I had an amazing time! It's not like you could go to everything in these types of events. I didn't have time to actually walk the floor and see all the booths; I didn't even go to the Doctor Who booth! I only managed to go to the center, where Legendary, Marvel, Dark Horse, Lego, Nintendo, and Nerdist were. The one thing I hate about the whole thing: my iPhone's battery lasts about 4 hours! I couldn't take pictures or videos or anything or it would just die instantly; and I didn't want to waste time sitting down by an outlet to charge it. Some of the pictures here are stolen from the internet.

NerdistNYCC!

Anyways... We got there pretty late the first day so I only went around The Block, and then a tiny bit of The Floor (got a free t-shirt from Legendary!). But that night was pretty damn awesome because we went to the Nerdist live podcast taping (with guests Joel Hodgson, Guillermo del Toro, and Travis Beacham. It was a great show, and Chris, Matt, and Jonah were hilarious! They also stayed to sign autographs and take pictures with us, which made my night.

I.Love.These.Guys
Chr Hck's autograph
Chris sounded very tired when he talked to us. We were probably 4th to last in the queue so he's been there for a good hour and a half or two hours greeting people and posing for pictures. I really do appreciate him staying and being so awesomely nice. Honestly, the more I see these guys, the more I adore them.












Nerdist vs. Firefly

Day 2 (for me, day 3 for the actual NYCC), I didn't wake up early enough to get there early and line up for the Buffy panel, so I missed that. But of course, someone filmed the whole thing and it's now on YouTube:

I was only slightly disappointed that I missed it, because I figured none of the cast (other than possibly Nicholas Brendon) would be there, and that the panel would probably focus on the post-show comic books. But still, it would have been awesome to be able to be at a Buffy panel!

And then, after that, I had an internal debate of what to do for the rest of the day. I could either go line up for the IGN Theater and sit through all the panels, so I can be in there for the Firefly panel, or I could actually walk around The Floor and catch Chris Hardwick's signing at the Legendary booth, and then hope really hard that I could get into the IGN Theater. Also, walking the floor means I have a chance to get free stuff! But then I went to the floor and saw how crowded it was. I couldn't stand it, left, and just sat at the line for the IGN theater. I sat through about 6 panels (3 of which moderated by Chris Hardwick), before it finally got to Firefly. I have to say, if I've watched The Walking Dead at all, I would have loved that panel too. They were fun and the clip they showed was pretty amazing. I now really want to start watching it. Soon. Also, I need to watch more horror movies.

Back to the panel of the Con... Quite a few people left after the The Walking Dead panel so I managed to get a decent seat for the panel. But, like I mentioned, my phone's battery didn't last long so by the time it started, it was on 10% and I couldn't take pictures/videos. I wasn't so sure about the panel itself since it only says "with special guests" on the programme. I was so freaking excited to see Jewel Staite's and Sean Maher's names being set up on the table. I love it when they're together; they're always adorable. Case in point:
Stolen from here
I mean, of course I would love it even more if the whole cast and Joss showed up but I was expecting none, so I was so freaking happy. And then Nathan Fillion was on the phone. I remember being somewhat disappointed that he wasn't there, but at least we get to hear him, right? Well, no. He showed up. Surprising even Jewel and Sean. It was just amazing. Just the feeling of the whole theater's excitement - I really can't explain it. I mean, look at how much they love each other: (Sean did the same, but I couldn't find a decent picture of that one).
Stolen from here

The three of them were amazing and awesome and hilarious and I just love them so very much. Firefly: The Animated Series? I'm so in! It wouldn't be the same, without the actual cast, but really I'd watch any new Firefly material.

The panel itself was streamed live by twitch.tv, and the recording can be found here:

It's very endearing to hear Jewel calling Nathan "Cap" still. :) I hope, one day, I get to do the nod, "Cap'n" thing to Nathan Fillion.
The panel was for the show's 10th anniversary special that would air on November 11th on the Science Channel, Browncoats Unite, which was filmed during this year's San Diego Comic-Con. The moderator mentioned that if enough people tweet them using the hashtag #FireflyNov11, the channel would "unlock" an exclusive footage from the special. So, obviously, the captain took out his iPhone and tweeted this:
I find it amusing how many people freaked out because of one single tweet.

I was ridiculously happy walking out of the panel. I did run up to the stage at the end of it, wishing that they'd stay to sign things, which they didn't, but I was too happy about the whole thing to let that affect me in any way. Really, after that, I didn't care about the Con that much anymore since that was basically it for me.

I did manage to grab a free Nerdist t-shirt and sticker. So it was all Nerdist and Firefly for me. Can't wait for the next Cons!

No comments:

Post a Comment