Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Realization

I am currently at work, bored out of my mind. One whole day and all I was assigned to do was play around with the HTML/CSS of the mobile app so that it looks somewhat presentable. There are only four screens total as of now and there's really not that much on them due to the screen size. So yeah. Basically, since about an hour before lunch, I've been doing nothing. Improved the look a tiny bit here and there and then just derp around.

Then I started day dreaming. Because, what else would I do? I already promised myself that I won't reddit at work!

This thought crossed my mind, that I totally buy into the "my dad is a superhero" thing. (Yes, this post is just about another random thought, but I am THAT bored!)


You know, he's big and strong and he can do anything, and by anything I mean *anything*. He's really smart, that I gathered from people around him. And he's pretty cool. But that has nothing to do with this. The moment I realized it was actually back when I received an email from my mom quite a few months ago. She told us (my brother and I) that dad was ill. He has back problems that might be originally caused by when he fell from a horse, way, way back when I was a little girl. He was behind me, I remember, and when I turned around he was already on the ground, in pain. I vaguely remember thinking that he can't be that hurt; I mean, he's my dad!

Mom's email continued to explain what was wrong, and that they're hoping to do this treatment with a neck brace to avoid having to go into surgery. Then it hit me. My dad might need surgery? No way! And I can honestly say that it scared me a little bit. I didn't really know how bad it was or how dangerous the surgery would be, but I was simply scared. It's my dad, my own personal Superman.

Fast forward a few months later, I was graduating from college and my parents came for my graduation. My mom had warned me that because of dad's condition, he's not allowed to lift heavy things, so I should help with the luggage when they arrive. Duly noted, mother. And yeah, this also made me a little nervous. It can't be that bad, right?

They arrived. They looked exactly the same as the last time I saw them, about 9 months prior, if a little bit grey-haired. But they definitely looked fine. It hit me when I saw his neck brace thingy. Dad was driving the car when suddenly he motioned to my mom, who then reached out to grab the neck brace. He put it on and I felt my heart beating faster. He seemed fine, he just needed to wear it every now and then. I was too scared to ask too many questions about it but I gathered that hunching down in front of my laptop all the time is not a good idea. Dad's problem is that the nerve around his shoulder-blades/neck area gets strained or pinched and the neck brace helps relieve it. Or something. Yeah, not too good with the details. But point is, I should try to sit with my back straight to avoid this. Or falling from horses.

I know it's not that bad, but it kinda shattered my superhero dad image. He's not as strong as I thought he was! But he's still a genius and an awesome dad. :) Hope he gets better. Or at least not any worse.

That's that. I have no idea why I felt like writing about this but I did spend about the last hour of my workday writing and editing this. Because I don't really have anything better to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment