Saturday, May 28, 2011

Barcelona 3-1 Manchester United

Congrats, Barca! Job well done. Best team in the world; no other team even comes close! We were outplayed and outclassed throughout all 90 minutes, although Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic showed good tackling inside the box. But honestly, the better team won and I can't really complain.



It's a shame, though, it was the perfect stage for us. It's Wembley '11, the last game for Edwin van der Sar, and maybe Paul Scholes too. It would have been the best way to close the curtains one their legendary careers (even though I'm still confident that Scholes will sign a one year extension).

Sir Alex Ferguson was shown sitting, his hands clenching and shaking. That actually got me more than the game itself. All I could think of was that someone should give him a hug and help him calm down.

Honestly, I didn't agree with some of his decisions tonight. He said he's learned from his mistakes in '09 but the game was played out like it was back then. I know Chicharito has been on form but Berbatov and his ability to keep the ball might suit better in this game. Ryan Giggs didn't have the best of games, and I hate to admit this, but he should have been subbed off for Scholes instead of Carrick. I really wanted Michael Owen to come on and score that important goal he was saving for tonight but Fergie didn't give him the chance. Park, like he was two years ago, was hopeless with the ball. I understand why he was there, I would line him up myself, but I was disappointed. We are Manchester United and we can be better than that! No matter who the opponent is, we're better than that.

That said, I don't know how much those changes would have brought to the game; it might have made it worse. And in Fergie I trust. He's been the manager longer than I have lived, for goodness' sake. He knows what he's doing.

I do feel like we're in the middle of rebuilding a new, young team, and yet we still managed to get #19. That was our main goal this season and we did it; tonight was supposed to be the cherry on top, unfortunately it slipped off of our fingers. Actually, it was more like in Barca's hand the whole time and we couldn't get close. You can't be the best if you can't beat the best. Let's get the players we need during the summer and do this again next season!

I am very worried about the fact that we will be without VDS. But De Gea is very young and able. Not sure that we should throw someone that young as our first choice goalkeeper but he's a better option than most. Other than that, we need a quality midfielder who can hold the ball and go into crunching tackles; we need a Hargreaves (a fit one, preferably).

To Edwin van der Sar, thank you. I can't say this enough. Thank you so very much for all your services. You will never be forgotten and will always be missed. Six years is way too short!

No comments:

Post a Comment