Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog


I think I am becoming more and more of a nerd. Even though I'm pretty much late to everything. Anyways, I have been obsessed with Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog for these past two weeks. It's funny, has great music, and just amazing.


Dr. Horrible is a musical tragicomedy miniseries in three acts, that was produce exclusively for the Internet. It was a family affair, written by Joss Whedon, and his brothers Zack and Jed, and Jed's wife Maurissa Tanchereon, during the 2007/08 Writers Strike. What they thought would be a small project (filmed through their webcams) became a much bigger project, especially once Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion, and Felicia Day signed on to play the leads.

[Creators and cast of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog]

The songs of Dr. Horrible have been stuck in my head these couple of weeks! "Freeze Ray" is adorable; "My Eyes" is beautiful; and my personal favorite, "Brand New Day," is just so amazing, I can't not smile when my iTunes/iPod decides to play it during shuffle! Especially the beginning of the song, it's just incredible! Neil did a great job, too! All the actors sang really well, IMO.

I think it's funny how I got to Dr. Horrible. After I depleted my resources of usually-watched TV shows, I finally downloaded and watched Chuck; I've heard so much good things about it and knew that I would just love it! (I mean, an adorable dorky nerd who becomes a kick ass agent?! Plus, it's played by the super handsome and nerdy Zac Levi!!) And I was obsessed with that (and him). So then I resorted to YouTube, and that always goes to Comic-Con, because they're just awesome. I noticed how fanatic they were about Adam Baldwin and this show he was in called Firefly.

I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan, but I remembered Kim recommending Firefly to me; even though she wasn't a sci-fi fan either. I gave it a try. It took me a while to actually get into it. The first couple of episodes were very...confusing. I'm not used to watching sci-fi everything just looked...strange. But damn, that Nathan Fillion is hot! After the initial confusion, I began to understood the characters, story line, and the mystery that is Captain Malcolm Reynolds. I really don't see how a girl could watch, and love, Firefly without crushing on Mal! And then again, to YouTube, to Comic-Con; and it's really crazy! Joss Whedon, the creator, with his cult following is just great to watch! I then started to wonder if I really disliked sci-fi as I thought. And then of course, this crush I had on Nathan Fillion led to Castle, but that's another story.

Then I came across this YouTube video of Nate Fillion with Neil Patrick Harris at Comic-Con. They were funny, and hot, and I decided that I definitely should watch this Dr. Horrible thing that they're on. And, it's created by Joss Whedon, too! And how happy am I that I found this wonderful piece of awesomeness. I've probably played "Brand New Day" 50 times in the 2 weeks since I've discovered it. I would like to thank the Whedon family, NPH, Nathan Fillion, Felicia Day, the rest of the cast and crew who made it. It never fails to cheer me up whenever I'm feeling down.

Dr. Horrible has since led me to Felicia Day's The Guild (which I also love and I think that Felicia Day is the most adorable gamer/nerd) and NPH's How I Met Your Mother (I have the biggest crush on NPH – life is so unfair that men like him are gay. And Barney Stinson, I heart you so much!).

This cycle is never gonna end. Soon, I'm gonna find yet another show that I'm gonna love and obsess about, and that will lead to another one, and another one, and I'll just have more and more shows to watch, which means I'll have less time to do work, and just fail–at life. I think I'm gonna try watching sci-fi now; maybe something by Joss Whedon.

No comments:

Post a Comment