Thursday, December 4, 2008

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip


I watched the whole season of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip again during Thanksgiving break and I think this show was awesome! Still don't understand why NBC would cancel it when it was actually doing well both against the critics, ratings and viewers (great demographic too). In fact, it was doing better than other NBC shows like 30 Rock and Friday Night Lights [see video below for details] but those two got picked up for a second season while S60 didn't.

The great Aaron Sorkin wrote - and created - the show. And the whole show just show what a genius he is. The language that he uses is just amazing. Just love all the dialogues, and the humor that he put in. There are a lot of inside jokes that I didn't understand the first time I watched the show so watching it the second time was actually better. I always thought that I don't like anything with too much dialogue in it but this show proved me wrong. The casting was great, too. Matthew Perry, Bradley Whitford, Amanda Peet, and everyone else had great chemistry.

The story itself was a little bit autobiographical to Sorkin's life. He based the main character, Matthew Albie, on himself and a little bit of Matthew Perry. Albie's relationship with Harriet Hayes was also a portrayal of Sorkin's relationship with Kristin Chenoweth. Studio 60 shows the behind-the-scene of a comedy sketch show, kinda like Saturday Night Live. It's an intense drama with the type of humor that I really enjoyed. Some people said that the show was actually canceled because it's "too smart" - shows how dumb the viewers are, really.


Great video explaining how stupid NBC was for canceling the show!! [kudos to whoever owns the vid]

I know it's pathetic but I still have a little hope that NBC - or any other network for that matter - would come to their senses and pick up the show again. I just miss seeing Matty on a weekly basis in a good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment