Thursday, July 18, 2013

Just started a new FM12 game

This transfer window is just too much for me; we're being linked with pretty much all central midfielders out there and I can't handle it. So, as always, I revert back to my United safe place: Football Manager. This time, I simmed through until 2050, and then took over Manchester United. Stole this idea from /r/footballmanagergames. All players are now regens, and I don't know any of them. I welcome the challenge, even though I know I'm going to miss the amazing regens I've managed to acquire in my other save.

Manchester United hasn't been doing too well in this save. Since 2011, they have only won the league twice (2022 and 2035), and won the Champions League in 2046:

And they've been going up and down, mostly in the mid-table area:

When I took over, most of the players are well into their 30s (I stupidly didn't take a screenshot of the squad) so I had to make a lot of changes, most importantly signing good players who could still play 5 years from now. I depleted my transfer budget and almost maxed out my salary budget. What pained me was that the very top players, those with 4.5 - 5 stars recommendation, don't even want to play for United. It's an unfamiliar territory for me in this game. Here's my squad at the beginning of my first season:

The squad's average age is 28.25, a significant departure from the other save's squad, of which I keep around 23-24. My biggest signing, 24 year old Ismael Mulero, was bought for £50m. In my other save, I bought both Mario Götze and Thomas Müller for £50m each in my first year.

I have to say, I think I have a pretty good team. It's strange that the goal for this season is only to get a Champions League spot, instead of winning both the Premier League and the Champions League. But it's also very exciting, because this time, I might get to be the person who brings United back to its glory days. Here goes my free time!

No comments:

Post a Comment