Monday, April 29, 2013

Champions 20|13


Manchester United has secured their 13th premier league title last Monday, April 22nd, after defeating Aston Villa 3-0. Our number 20, Robin van Persie, scored a first half hat-trick that secured us our 20th top division title (yes, I know, this 20/20 thing has been played out but I just love it too much not to use it). Side note: It took me embarrassingly long to realize that the Twitter hashtag "#champions2013" means more than the year 2013.

United's chance to overtake Chelsea's record for the most points won in a season was squashed when United's match against Arsenal ended in a 1-1 draw. With 3 games left in the season, United can now only get a maximum of 94 points, 1 short of Chelsea's 95 points record set in 2005. As for the Arsenal match itself, the media focused more on the fact that Arsenal players were giving United's a guard of honor. I honestly don't think it's a big deal; it's something that every club does. I understand that with Robin van Persie's first return to the Emirates, and his influence in United's title win, it's a bit more "interesting" but I don't think it warrants all the media attention it has got. It would have been much, much sweeter if we had won the title at the Emirates, with RvP's hat-trick like he did against Aston Villa. I mean, wouldn't Arsenal fans be happy seeing RvP win a Premier League title at the Emirates?! ;) Joking aside, I would love Manchester United to be the first team to win the Premier League at the Emirates.

Robin, thank you and congratulations
In any case, the title is won, the guard of honor was had, and the trophy itself will be presented at United's last home game of the season, against Swansea on May 12th. I reckon it would be nice to see RvP with a winners medal. He truly deserves (at least) one.

Interesting to get a look at the tactics board

Paul Scholes to retire (again)?

We haven't seen much of him lately, and apparently that's due to an injury. I really hope that he will play at least one more time before the end of the season. And I really need to get my Scholes jersey before he retires. This is already my second chance!
"We'll have to wait and see with Scholes," Ferguson told the club's official website. "He's got an injury that is bothering him a lot.

"It doesn't matter as he'll be here anyway - whether as a player or coach. He'll be here anyway."
source

"...he'll be here anyway..." Yay!
"...whether as a player or coach." :(

No comments:

Post a Comment