Monday, October 17, 2011

HIMYM 7.06 Mystery vs. History


This is just a little rant because I just watched the episode and was quite disappointed with something. I was going to just tweet about it instead of writing a blog post, but it's pretty hard to explain myself in 140 characters or less. So here it goes...

I ship Barney-Robin. For those who don't know. I don't know if this is relevant to this post but I thought I should mention it because this fact will always contribute to my opinion on a HIMYM episode. I actually can't make up my mind on this issue: the fact that Nora *barely* gets mentioned in the show. On this episode, her name came up once because Lily assumed Barney was cheating on her. I mean, Barney freaking Stinson is in a monogamous relationship and the gang (except for Robin) doesn't have any strong reactions? That's just odd. But I guess it's kinda good that the writers aren't making Barney to be trying too hard to be Nora's boyfriend that we'd lose the Barney we've known and loved. I would like to point out that I believe during "The Stinson Missile Crisis" (which was Robin's point of view instead of future!Ted's narration), the overly sappy Barney was just Robin's exaggeration. Especially the dinner date scene!

With the change in Nazanin Boniadi's status to a recurring character, I was really expecting a lot more of Nora at the early season (which would mean less of her later on, giving more time for BRoTP).

I did enjoy the Ted storyline, especially in showing the Ted/Barney/Robin dysfunctional friendship. However, I didn't enjoy the Marshal/Lily storyline quite as much. It wasn't as funny and it was very predictable. Sure, the actual gender of the baby wasn't really predictable – it was 50/50 – but the whole "Barney will get his way and then M/L will want to know too but decided to stick with their original choice," I called it a mile away and I felt like it's been done in other versions before. But, yay, a boy!!

Moving on to the main point of this rant: Robin and Kevin. I know that it might be my BRoTP ship goggles talking but I do not like this relationship at all!

Well, first of all, HE WAS HER THERAPIST! A therapist dating his (former) patient is just wrong. Plus, the whole thing seemed forced. It looked like they put Robin and Kevin together just to enable him being on the show and around the gang more often. Don't get me wrong, I *love* Kal Penn and he's hilarious on this show, but does Kevin have to be dating Robin? The very reason why Robin had to go to therapy was because of her feelings for Barney. Obviously, Kevin knows that. Barney and Robin are best friends (sorry Ted and Lily) and they obviously are very close and have great chemistry (see: this whole episode and the dance on "The Best Man"). So does Kevin choose to ignore the whole thing? How can he be okay dating someone who's: (1) in love with someone else, (2) who happens to be one of her closest friends, (3) and they hang out together all.the.time, (4) and act coupley as in this episode, and (5) oh so obviously meant for each other!! Yeah okay the last point was just me. But the other points are valid. Seriously, how are they dating?!

I also don't like the fact that the writers chose to do the same to Robin this season as they did to Barney in season 4. Their feelings to the other was very on and off. Barney was obsessed with Robin in one episode, but seemed completely over it the next. Seems to be the case with Robin so far this season, too. It kinda makes sense in a way – and we really don't want to see Robin pining for a guy in every episode because that's just depressing – but it sucks when you're watching the show, wanting to see how that particular storyline develops and gets resolved. I just hope they resolve it soon. As in during November sweeps. Actual resolution on the issue instead of just vague teasing of what's to come.

Okay. That's it for my rant. I should go to sleep so I won't be late for work tomorrow! Good night, world!

No comments:

Post a Comment