Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tick, Tick, Tick: A cocktail of feelings and emotions

I watched the episode twice last night, and I've had a decent 3-4 hours of sleep since then, but I'm still not sure if I'm able to piece together my thoughts and feelings in this post.

So basically it picked up the morning after last week's episode, "Disaster Averted" (7.09). If the ending of that episode reminded you of "Sandcastles In the Sand" (3.16), you could probably guess what happened in the beginning of "Tick, Tick, Tick" (7.10) (although the title still reminds me of Dexter).

Let's back up a little. I know they promised us BRo-shippers some goodness during November Sweeps, but I was worried that it wouldn't be as "explosive" as they said it would be. And yes, they also promised us that season 7 will feature a lot of Barney and Robin, and particularly, Robin's growth. And I shouldn't have doubted them!

The beginning of season 7 shows us that Robin still has feelings for Barney. This is something I was extremely excited about, since season 4 was mainly about Barney's feelings towards her but they didn't show her side of the story at all. And, as Lily pointed out, they sure do have chemistry! I actually think Neil and Cobie's on-screen chemistry has gotten better throughout the seasons. We also learned that this season's theme is timing; and I, like many others, believe that the timing is about Barney and Robin's relationship. We're 10 episodes in and their relationship, or lackthereof, has been revolving around timing. Plus, Ted who's supposed to be the main character in the show, hasn't had any major storylines so far this season. So it has to be about Barnman and Robin.

One thing we all love about HIMYM is their attention to detail, especially in call-backs to previous episodes/seasons. There are so many parallels of the BRo-relationship in these recent episodes to that of season 4, which I enjoyed. "Disaster Averted" was set in August, during Hurricane Irene. So this was before "Challenge Accepted" (6.24); before Punchy's wedding in "The Best Man" (7.01). This is why I absolutely love the almost-kiss in the rain scene. For one thing, how adorable were they?! Barney Stinson is such a romantic! The thing he said about not talking to Robin? Just perfect. Even more adorable, when Robin was digging out her phone from her purse, Barney moved in on her again, showing that he still wanted to kiss her. The littles forward step that Neil took made me fall in love with the scene!

But, more importantly, this foreshadows everything else! At the end of "Challenge Accepted" when they showed Robin staring at Barney/Nora, it made it seem that Robin only wanted Barney because he was going for another woman. But the almost scene in the rain showed that that's not true. They were both still attracted to each other and they both (kinda) knew it. I think that this is an important piece of information in the Barney and Robin universe. It wasn't just a thing that popped up. It has been there all along.

And then, of course, the cab scene. What is it with these two and cabs? It seems that they have meaningful and sincere moments when they're in a cab together. I loved how open and vulnerable both of them were when talking about what almost happened. Both of these characters have developed such strong armors that it's endearing to see them break down around each other. And “Disaster Averted” left us BRo-shippers so freaking excited with this:
[They totally pulled a Jeff/Britta!]

From there, I though it could have gone two ways. Since Robin were in the cab because she needed to go back to work, they might head there first, which means they’d have to stop right there in the back of the cab. If they were going to Barney’s place first, however, they might, you know, go all the way. ;)

And they did. I wasn’t sure how I felt about the fact that they slept together. If they only made out in the cab, it could be just a heat-of-the-moment thing. Yes, it’s still cheating and it’s still wrong, but at least they stopped, right? As someone else pointed out in some blog/community I read, they must have had plenty of moments when they could have stopped and thought that this might be a bad idea; from paying the driver (though knowing Barney he probably just threw a $100 bill at the guy), getting out of the cab, going into Barney’s apartment building, riding up the elevator and getting inside his bedroom. I was so torn between “yay! It’s them!” and not wanting Barney to be a cheater.
Sure, plenty of people, including his friends, had teased that Barney is the cheating type. But he's never really cheated! Granted, he has only been in two relationships so far, and neither turned out well, but he's never cheated. The reason why he is the womanizer that he is is actually because of Shannon! The first serious girlfriend that he's ever had *cheated on him*! But oh well, this is Barney and Robin so I kinda let it slide. If the endgame is what I think it is, it doesn't (really) matter the path they took.

So, they slept together, and we're now onto "Tick, Tick, Tick" (yes, we just got there). I loved the opening scene because Barney just tried to be and say whatever Robin wanted him to. I also love the fact that his immediate response to "did this mean anything?" was "of course it did" (even though he kinda took it back a moment after). At that point, I wasn't exactly sure how Barney felt about Robin because so far this season, he seemed to really like Nora and had been trying very hard to be a good boyfriend to her. (Plus, him agreeing to meet her parents AND REALLY WANTED THEM TO LIKE HIM made me sure that he was really trying). But that short exchange in his bed made me realize that yes, Barney also still has feelings for Robin! (yay!!)

Moving on the to party on the boat. I expected the awkwardness but I was completely taken by surprise by Barney's reaction here! He was so sure of what he wanted (Robin!) and he actually said it right in front of her right away. I mean, he practically told her that he wanted to run away to start a new life with her, "somewhere simple and homey; like Vermont, or Dubai!" I mean... SERIOUSLY!!! I replayed the scene like five times, because BARNEY STINSON JUST SAID THAT! And the smile that he had was just so...adorable.

I'm currently re-watching the episode and I just went through this part again, and to me it looked like Barney saying "and we'll start a new life together" to Robin just came out of him. And when Robin asked him if that's what he wanted, it was either him realizing that yes, that's what he wanted, or he realized that it actually sounds kinda nice when it's with Robin. Either way, he seemed quite content with the idea of them running off together.

And then the second time Robin asked if getting back together is really what Barney wanted (yes, Robin, how much clearer can he get?), he was just so...perfect. There are no words. Really. He was spot-on. It's what they both wanted. There's just that little thing of them dating other people that's in the way. Again, the theme of the story is timing. And timing hasn't been too nice to these two kids.

Fast forward to the end where they all met up at MacLaren's. I just... there are no words. I never expected a comedy show to make me cry, but I haven't been this sad because of a TV show (a scene, even) in a while. NPH did an amazing job, I thought.

And then, to make it even sadder, the rose petals and candles and it's Barney freaking Stinson being this vulnerable because of a girl! Really, him cleaning up the rose petals just did it for me.


At least Nora's gone... I still can't believe Robin did what she did but it's understandable, to some degree. Kevin is definitely the safer choice. But for Barney, I think that he will go back to closing up and be "awesome" like post-Shannon. I like the fact that Ted saw him in Robin's room because that might make Ted somewhat protective of Barney, knowing what happened between him and Robin. (This might be the thing that Victoria mentioned, things not working out between the three of them).

This opens up the rest of the season to why Barney and Robin won't be together at least for a while. Trusts have been broken and this one is not easy to mend.

What I think will happen (or what I want to happen):
There's another girl in the next episode (hence "Rebound Girl") and Robin starts flailing because she missed her chance. She finally dumps Kevin in 7.12 and realizes her stupidity. Then, we might finally see Robin doing the chasing for a change! I'm very curious to see what Ted will do with that little piece of information that he knows. He was still high so he might think that it wasn't real. But single Ted and single Barney are back and I'm excited!

But for the first time in a long time, I have no idea where the writers are taking this one!

Oh and I didn't even mention that this season was supposed to be about the mystery of Barney's bride because, come on! After that soul mate montage they can't just get a random girl to marry Barney!

So yeah. Work day is over 20 minutes ago so I'm leaving. Might re-watch the episode again tonight and might edit this.

Oh, and I have to mention that despite how horrible I felt seeing Barney at the end, the whole episode was actually hilarious. Love the Ted/Marshall storyline! The "it's a sign" part was just brilliant! Apparently time distortion is funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment